3.19.2009

IRP: The Litle Things (Ch. 109-149, prompt #12)

So for this post I'm gonna discuss all the little things. Throughout the novel, Mark Haddon, or Christopher Boone, either one, decide to incorporate little aspects into the book. By this I mean, when Christopher decides whether it is a good day or a bad day depending on the color and number of cars that go by. When Christopher and his dad spread their fingers out and touch them together because Christopher doesn't like to be touched. When Christopher mentions the exact time his dad got home or the exact time he went to bad or the exact number of times he played Mine Sweeper. Things like this that just seem so minuscule but are put into the novel repeatedly. Though this may annoy you, and it annoys me sometimes when I'm up late reading and want to go to bed, it enhances the story. It truly brings out the character of Christopher. These characteristics are almost a mix of a bunch of characteristics found in those with savant autism. I believe these aspects were added to truly reveal the realism of savant autism. I am not sure if I would have taken anything out. Event the math problems are really interesting and provide almost like a break from the story. Overall, I think Haddon, or Christopher, has done a great job with keeping in everything that is important and also adding little extra's to enhance the characterization and interest the reader.

The videos below are divided into part 1 and part 2 of a British documentary about savant autism. If you have the time to watch both, it's well worth it. Throughout the videos you can really almost picture david and all his little peculiar characteristics.



No comments:

Post a Comment