3.18.2009

IRP: Prime Numbers and Metaphors (Ch. 19-31, prompt 5)


Through these chapters we are told by Christopher that the chapters are truly prime numbers. One thing in this section, chapter 19, which moved me was his explanation of prime numbers. It is amazing to see someone, especially someone like Christopher, take something so simple like prime numbers and compare it to life. He says that they are like life in that though they are logical, it's impossible to work out the rules. I think it's interesting he described this now, when he has just been taken to jail and he does not know why, as if he doesn't understand the rules.

Another aspect of this section which moved me was his examination of metaphors and his own name. Christopher perceives metaphors as lies and here we learn that Christopher truly hates lying. We later see this in chapter 31 when Christopher is asked if he meant to hit the cop and he says yes. He then examines his own name which his mother, who we learned has passed away, told him is also a metaphor for "carrying Christ." Chris does not like this and wished his name meant himself.
These two aspects of this section are just another example of how odd and unique Christopher really is. They also show how very smart Christopher his and we get to see more of his thought process. I have to admit that I am really starting to get a visual of Christopher already and am really starting to like him and sympathize for him. His description of prime numbers was very thought provoking and his detest for lying is so extreme I have to laugh but also feel shameful of the lies I make or accept in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment