The above webpage goes into great detail to describe and reveal the many quotes all centered around this very quote. It is interesting that such a famous quote could be rewritten so many different ways. In the essay written on it, the author describes that the quote is meant to be political and to push government to have a larger role in our lives. By saying this I believe he means that if the government just sits back, all chaos will break loose and evil will prevail but if government, in this case, "good" government, steps in, evil can be restrained.
In part I agree. I think that good is needed to stop evil but I am not sure that if good is not present that evil is: one the only option, and two will triumph. I am not sure why if there is no good, it must mean evil will triumph. This quote really brings out the discrepancy in the definition of the words good and evil. I believe this quote could probably mean a different thing to every person that reads it. We all have a different interpretation of these two words and therefore a different understanding of the quote.
No comments:
Post a Comment